-Does state or federal government have a greater impact in our lives?
-Does the United States have a mission to expand democracy and freedom?
-Does war cause national prosperity?
-Is economic, social, or physical coercion an effective method of achieving our national interest in domestic affairs
Themes: State Rights vs. Federal Government, Fugitive Slave Act, Clay's Compromise of 1850 (terms), Popular Sovereignty, Calhoun Goals/Webster's Goals, response to the compromise, Stephen Douglas and Millard Fillmore's views on slavery.
2. Please read Slavery: Then and Now Article and then find ONE SLAVE NARRATIVE from the Antebellem Period on Primary Source Accounts of Slave Narratives and another MODERN DAY Slavery Account/Primary Source (of your own choosing) and compare and contrast the similarities and differences. You must put together a comprehensive report either using a T-chart format (NO bullet points) or a detailed paragraph that explains your clear thinking. You MUST cite your source.
1.Please read Slavery: Then and Now Article and then find ONE SLAVE NARRATIVE from the Antebellum Period on Primary Source Accounts of Slave Narratives and another MODERN DAY Slavery Account/Primary Source and compare and contrast the similarities and differences. You must put together a comprehensive report either using a T-chart format (NO bullet points) or a detailed paragraph that explains your clear thinking. You MUST cite your sources. Post on Google Classroom.
-How did the Cold War challenge American values, at home and abroad?
-Is the Cold War still going on? How? -Did America learn foreign policy lessons from the Bay of Pigs and The Cuban Missile Crisis?
Themes: Containment, Domino Theory, CIA covert missions, Bay of Pigs, The Cuban Missile Crisis, The Berlin Wall Crisis
1. I have sent you all directions on what specific scenes I want you or the substitute to show using a student's Netflix account on 13 Days and their iPad/Google Chrome Book. If this assignment does NOT work, then please go to #2 below to complete the JFK and The Cuban Missile Crisis Activity.
(See Google Classroom for your assignment on the 13 Days movie and another assignment under HW).
-Cuban Missile Crisis - Students will look at Photographs + listen to Audio files for 20 minutes and then reflect on these primary source documents using the discussion questions below.
3. Class Discussion after reviewing materials:
-Why did the Soviet Union place missiles in Cuba? What could they gain by deployment?
-Why was Fidel Castro and Cuba a threat to the United States?
-Did missiles actually threaten the United State's Security?
-Why did the U.S.A blocade Cuba? Was it an effective measure to problem solve this situation?
-How did the secret discussion affect the outcome?
-Should President Kennedy be considered a hero or lucky? Why?
-What did the international community (United States/Soviet Union/Cuba/Others) gain or lose from this crisis?
1. I assigned this yesterday, but never mentioned it in class...so if you did not complete it then please do over the weekend. Please research The Berlin Crisis under Kennedy and The Space Race (Textbook pages 883-884, and 887-888), be sure to include the BIG IDEA/THEME, an original argument based off your research, a visual representation of these event, and a audio representation of ONE of these events.
2. Based off your research please answer the following question with a thoughtful response - What kind of political statement was made by the United States' support of West Berlin and the NASA Space program in the 1960's?
2. Please pick any mid-1980's to 1989 show of YOUR CHOICE and summarize what you watched (the specific episode must be cited) - main characters, what you enjoyed and/or disliked about the show, fashion trends, language or music used, and how it was a representation of the 1980's Pop Culture. This should be in a lengthy paragraph format. NO two people should be doing the same exact TV show episode. Please post on Google Classroom.