-Who were the heroes and the losers of the American Civil War? -What military lessons can we learn from the fighting in the American Civil War? -How and why did President Lincoln's position on slavery, race, and emancipation change over time? -Was the American Civil War worth it's costs?
Themes: State Rights vs. Federal Government, Abraham Lincoln's Dilemma, Secession, Anaconda Plan, The Confederate Army of the United States vs. The Union Army, Key Battles/Turning Points
1. Only Period 5 will finish the Debate - "Which theater of the American Civil War was MOST IMPORTANT in determining the outcome of the American Civil War?" & THREE student questions from each theater of war.
2. A quick recap of the American Civil War Battles/Turning Points:
1. Please read textbook pages 948 "A Nation Divided" to 953 and create a 2-Column Chart that gives THE DETAILS and DEVELOPMENTS on the right hand side (2/3rds or the larger side of your columns) and then when you are done, please complete the left hand side that are the MAIN IDEAS based off your details. This should be approximately 1 1/2 to 2 pages long (front and back of lined paper/electronic google doc). 2. Please continue to work on your Blizzard Bags for U.S. History II onHow Is Burlington Governed and Town Meetings is DUE ON JUNE 1ST.
Essential Questions: 1. How much do popular trends reflect and/or shape American values and traditions?
2. Does our entertainment reflect society, or does our entertainment shape our society?
3. What is Pop Culture?
4. How do we know if something is Popular Culture?
Themes: Pop Culture, Top Charts, American Exceptionalism, 1990's Decade, 1990's TV, 1990's Major Events in Politics, Culture, Sports, Science.
1. Senior Skip Day make not bring much attendance today, so if we have at least 3 or more students we will finish our movie study of the 1990's with Titanic and begin our brief study, discussion and analysis of a 1990's godsend show called Seinfeld.
1. Please make sure you are executing your FINAL RESEARCH EXHIBIT PROJECT for Modern America as it's worth 40% of your Quarter 4 grade. You MUST HAVE a strong thesis statement, a research exhibit that presents itself in a very clear manner, and it has to reflect Pop Culture today as well. ***You only have 3 DAYS LEFT until you present on Thursday, May 21st!