-Was slavery a humane or evil institution? -What military lessons can we learn from the fighting in the American Civil War? -How and why did President Lincoln's position on slavery, race, and emancipation change over time? -Was the American Civil War worth it's costs?
Themes: State Rights vs. Federal Government, Abraham Lincoln's Dilemma, Secession, Anaconda Plan, The Confederate Army of the United States vs. The Union Army, Key Battles/Turning Points
-How did the Cold War challenge American values, at home and abroad? -How was the Cold War Foreign Policy of the 1970's and 1980's different for Americans then the 1950's and 1960's?
-Is the Cold War still going on? How? -Did America learn foreign policy lessons from The Vietnam Conflict?
Themes: Containment, Domino Theory, The Vietnam Conflict
1. The 1980's Group should be prepared to present to me today regarding
-Who were the American Presidents in the 1980's
-What were America's foreign policy regarding the Cold War?
-Which events were consistent across the board in the 1980's?
-What common patterns in America's foreign policy do you recognize as you move through the 1980's?
2. We are moving to The Vietnam War -
-Vietnam War Overview found on Digital History. What are the 3 most impactful ideas you learned about the Vietnam War? -Vietnam War Digital History "The Meaning of the Vietnam War" - What do you think is the meaning behind the Vietnam War? Summarize your thoughts and give me a thesis statement/major argument - share thesis statements and have students quickly talk about their understanding behind the "meaning of the Vietnam War"?
-Who was Ho Chi Minh? What impact did he have for the Vietnamese during the Vietnam War? Do you think he was a hero or a instigator?
3. Go to Vietnam War Digital History and click on John F. Kennedy, then LBJ, then Richard Nixon (3 separate links on 3 different Presidents. Make a Graphic Organizer that looks like a 2-column chart, on one side are the 3 Presidents names (leave plenty of space in-between) and the other side is VIETNAM POLICY. How did EACH OF THESE PRESIDENTS dictate the Vietnam War? Did they increase troops, did a conflict occur while they were President, how did they deal with this crisis, did they make it worse or better? What decision would you have made differently?
4. Please use the rest of the period to read and review The Vietnam War, Part I: The Early Years and Escalation by Alan Taylor and the 46 photographs -Who's perspective are the photographs from? How do you know this? -Pick ONE photograph and tell me in your own words how it represents "The Vietnam Conflict"? -What is the MAIN IDEA of this article by The Atlantic? -What other ways could Americans have changed the course of the The Vietnam Conflict? -Would you recommend this article 5. Cold War Resources:
1. If you have not finished reading and reviewingThe Vietnam War, Part I: The Early Years and Escalationby Alan Taylor and the 46 photographs then please complete by tonight. -Who's perspective are the photographs from? How do you know this? -Pick ONE photograph and tell me in your own words how it represents "The Vietnam Conflict"? -What is the MAIN IDEA of this article by The Atlantic? -What other ways could Americans have changed the course of the The Vietnam Conflict? -Would you recommend this article to another historian? Why? Why not? 2. Continue to work on your Blizzard Bags for U.S. History II onHow Is Burlington Governed and Town Meetings is DUE ON JUNE 1ST.