-Has rapid industrial development been a blessing or a curse for Americans?
-Did America fulfill the dreams of immigrants?
-Can reform movements improve American society and politics?
1. I will pass back your Immigration essays and your Progressive Era Test. We will review and reflect upon test taking skills and how to prepare and execute a better essay.
2. We are going to continue with these 3 Progressive Presidents below, but more in-depth on their Foreign Policy Legacies.
Teddy Roosevelt Resources:
Theodore Roosevelt - A PBS special on TR's Foreign Policy Adventures
Teddy Roosevelt Association - Lots of pictures and stories of keeping his legacy alive.
Progressive President's Foreign Policy - U.S. State Department
Teddy Roosevelt's Broad Powers - A pretty darn good essay
Whitehouse.org - Theodore Roosevelt Number 26
Theodore Roosevelt: Progressive Crusader - The Heritage Foundation of American Leadership
President Theodore Roosevelt Video - Similar to the ones we watch in class!! A must see!
William Howard Taft - The White House website
William Taft - VERY NICE biography and legacy page from the University of Virginia
Presidential Video on William Howard Taft - Just like the ones we watch in class!! A must see!
President Woodrow Wilson Video - Youtube clip from a teacher on Taft AND Wilson.
Woodrow Wilson - The White House org
Woodrow Wilson Biography - from the University of Virginia
3. We will address and discuss your outlines from last night with a focus on:
A. What is Imperialism?
B. Why American imperialism in the late 19th Century?
C. Who was this Alfred Thayer Mahan and what is his significance in the rise of the American imperialism?
4. We will review the History Channel Video on ALL 3 PRESIDENTS starting tomorrow.
5. Spanish-American War Resources:
Causes of the War
Library of Congress - General information on the Spanish-American War
Spanish-American War Slideshow
PBS Special on All Events surrounding America's Quest for Imperialism
A Price for Freedom in the Spanish-American War
Images of the Spanish-American War and Primary Sources
Headlines from the Spanish-American War
Cartoons from the Spanish-American War
Political Cartoon from the Spanish-American War
1. Chapter 18 - Section 2 - The Spanish-American War - Read pages 552-557. Please complete the ENTIRE graphic organizer on the Spanish-American War using CAUSE and EFFECT analysis for each person/event/place/item.
2. Please watch this video on Spanish-American War as it will help you understand the following concepts:
Outcome of the War
U.S. HISTORY I - Periods 4, 5, and 6:
-Does state or federal government have a greater impact in our lives?
-Does the system of checks and balances provide us with an effective and efficient government?
-Is a strong federal system the most effective government for the United States? Which level of government, federal or state, can best solve our nation's problems?
Themes: U.S. Constitution, State Rights vs. Federal Rights, Bill or Rights, Checks and Balances, Amendments 11-27
1. Chapter 6 - Section 1 - George Washington Heads the New Government - we will continue to explore and learn about the legacy of George Washington's commitment and accomplishments to the U.S.A.
2. George Washington Resources:
TheWhiteHouse.gov website on George Washington and ALL presidents.
Biography of George Washington - Solid video as well to help understand GW
University of Virginia - GW profile
Primary Sources written by GW
Rediscovering GW - A PBS special
3. We will watch this GW Video by a noted historian:
International Studies - Period 3
1. How do we think about POWER in the 21st Century?
2. How do we define our interest as a country?
3. What is "hard power" and "soft power" capability and how does it impact foreign policy?
4. How is power distributed?
1. Joey C and Shalimar owe me their Soft/Hard Power Policy papers immediately. "Should we use hard or soft power to control the Taliban in the Middle East?"
2. We will finish watching "Daughter's of Afghanistan" and analysis the essential questions below. (29.33)
3. We will begin watching a PBS documentary titled "Obama's War"
Homework:1. After watching the movie titled "Obama's War" please answer Question 1 and Question 4 below from the movie and previously studied material from our case study/debate on the Taliban:
Essential Questions for HW:
• What is the relationship between Islam and the Taliban?
• How does the Taliban try to control Afghan women?
• How has the experience of Afghan women changed with the Taliban’s emergence?
• What was the United States’ role in the Taliban coming to power?
• How is clothing used as a means of oppression in Afghanistan?