-What do we want from Government?
-Does our state government or federal government have more of an impact in our lives?
-Does the system of checks and balances provide us with an effective and efficient government?
-Is a strong federal system the most effective government for the United States? Which level of government, federal or state, can best solve our nation's problems?
Themes: Federalism, State Rights vs. Federal Government, Liberty vs. Hierarchy, U.S. Constitution, State Rights vs. Federal Rights, Bill or Rights, Checks and Balances, Amendments 11-27
1. Two short video clips on The Constitutional Convention and The Ratification of the Constitution and the New U.S. Government and compare these videos to your homework last night on Drafting a Constitution - Chapter 5 - Section 2.
2. Quick Understanding of Drafting the Constitution
-Who were the 55 delegates?
-Who were the key players?
-What was the biggest debate over Small States and Big States?
-Slavery in the U.S. Constitution - yah or nah?
***More on Slavery in the U.S. Constitution - please download and use the class worksheet to organize your ideas and answer the questions.
3. U.S. Constitution Resources:
Anti-federalist vs. Federalist Chart
United States Government Brief Slideshow
Current U.S. Government Slideshow
1. Please read, highlight, study, and learn the contents of pages 1-7 on the U.S. Constitution Packet by Friday, November 21th (You will have to show me in class, anyone absent on Friday should email me). It will be absolutely necessary as a key study guide and perhaps an outline used for a test.
U.S. HISTORY II - Period 4:
-Who was Herbert Hoover and how did his leadership affect the American people during the Great Depression?
-How did the Great Depression affect the lives of millions of Americans?-What affect did the Dust Bowl have on Americans during the Great Depression?
-What was the New Deal and how did it affect the American people during the Great Depression?
-What affect did the Stock Market Crash of 1929 have on the American people during the Great Depression?
-What were the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), The Works Progress Administration (WPA), and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA) and how did the affect the American people during the Great Depression?
-Who was Franklin Delano Roosevelt and how did his leadership affect the American people during the Great Depression?
1. We will finish watching the Highlights from the American Presidents of the 1920's - Presidents Harding, Coolidge, and Herbert Hoover.
2. Causes of the Great Depression?
Any questions from last night's The Nation's Sick Economy?
Digital Database investigation of the Causes of the Great Depression?
3. Great Depression Slideshow
4. The Great Depression Movie
1. Due on Friday, November 20th - Review Chapter 22 - The Great Depression and the major themes AND Digital History (Our Online Textbook) and come up with a list of major themes you would like to study. Then pick ONE theme that you REALLY want to learn more about. Once you pick that ONE topic, do some basic research using Chapter 22 AND Digital History and produce a PIE paragraph on your subject - It should include a STRONG THESIS STATEMENT and at least 6 sentences that have supportive and credible evidence to support your thesis statement.
2. Your NEW project will be reviewed this week and executed the next week and first week in December - Review of the expectations of the Digital Storytelling Project and the Digital Storytelling Rubric.
3. Digital Story Sample from Youtube on the Great Depression:
International Studies - Period 2
1. How do we think about POWER in the 21st Century?
2. How do we define our interest as a country?
3. What does "hard power" and "soft power" capability and how does it impact foreign policy?
4. How is power distributed?
5. How should we deal with extremist?
Themes: War vs. Peace, Sustainability Change, Hard Power, Soft Power, Smart Power, Hong Kong Protest, Islamic State in Syria (ISIS)
1. We will finish the Rise of ISIS documentary from PBS Frontline Special and then reflect writing your 10-15 sentence essay with support and proof as to which power should be used.
2. Resources about Islam and the Middle East
Map of the Middle East - Major Islamic Cities
Differences between Sunnis and Shiites - Chart
The Origins of the Shiite and Sunni Split - NPR Radio Broadcast - Meaning it's a podcast for you to listen to or you can read the article as well.
What is the difference between Sunnis and Shia Muslims - Article
Sunnis and Shiites Schism
1. After watching the Rise of ISIS documentary from PBS Frontline Special, which power do you truly believe is the best course of action for the global community? Please write a 10-15 sentence response that has a strong thesis statement, evidence from the Rise of ISIS documentary from PBS Frontline Special, and any evidence from the ISIS folder we created. You may pick any power necessary as a means to an end to effectively problem-solve the ISIS issue our world is currently facing. Please remember to ask yourself: How should we deal with extremist?